100 years ago on March 9, 1910 the plat map of “ Ruskin City ” was officially filed with Hillsborough County . The map designates several lots for the college, parks and for homes of the founding families and includes the original names of the streets at the time.
Tuesday March 9, 2010 marks the 100-year anniversary of this historic event. That morning in Commongood Park at 7:30am members of Ruskin Community Development Foundation (RCDF), The SouthShore Campus of Hillsborough Community College and the South Hillsborough Economic Development (SHED) Council will be on hand to welcome in the next 100 years of Ruskin with coffee and donuts for all. This is not a big event or formal meeting; it is just some local citizens getting together at Commongood Park for the use which it was intended.
HCC SouthShore President Allen Witt will be there to answer questions about what the future of the newest Ruskin campus might mean to the surrounding community.
Jim Hosler of the SHED Council will answer any questions about partnering for future economic development in the region.
Conrad Peterson, owner of a historic Ruskin home dating from the college era will be there to share his copy of the 1910 Ruskin map. Peterson’s home has recently been approved by Hillsborough County to become a bed-and-breakfast inn. Peterson also recently appeared before the County Historic Resources Review Board to start the process to have his home designated an historic landmark.
Commongood Park is located on the Ruskin Inlet in Ruskin on 1st Avenue NW near the intersection of US Hwy 41 and Shell Point Road . The boardwalk in the park that runs through the mangroves was donated years ago by the RCDF to the County for the use and enjoyment of its citizens.